The BuffaloRunners General Forum
 Roger Bannister passes away
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JR

242 Posts

Posted - March 04 2018 :  11:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read that Roger Bannister passed away at the age of 88. The first ever to break the 4 minute barrier in the mile, on a cinder track in the sneakers and track suits worn in 1954. Great achievement that stands the test of time.

Don Mitchell

253 Posts

Posted - March 05 2018 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be that the younger generation doesn't know that in 1978 Roger Bannister was in Buffalo for a few days, as the ceremonial starter of the Skylon Marathon.

A bunch of us got to meet him and spend time with him. There were also copies of his book "The Four Minute Mile," and he autographed them for many of us. I still have mine (and one he autographed for my parents). I believe it was Jesse Kregal who located a supply of the books in NYC and had them shipped to Buffalo. $1.95 each!

As for his "sneakers," he had his spikes custom made for him. In his book, he reports that they weighed only 4 oz each. The night before his run, he writes that at 11 PM he was sharpening each spike on a grindstone.
Go to Top of Page

Jan J.

323 Posts

Posted - March 06 2018 :  20:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Don: Great to hear from you again, especially about Roger Bannister's totally unexpected connection to the Skylon Marathon, back in 1978!

Best,

JanJ.
Go to Top of Page

Don Mitchell

253 Posts

Posted - March 06 2018 :  21:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes -- still alive and hitting the roads regularly (walking, though, not running). Still doing marathon distance and above, but slowly.

The big 75 is coming up soon.

The races here in Hilo are pathetic, compared to Buffalo. Courses aren't certified (or even the correct length), traffic control is non-existent, there's a chip timer who doesn't seem to understand timing, and so on. Not a lot of fun, so I don't race anymore.

OTH, I walked the Honolulu Marathon in 2016, that being 40 years after my first marathon. It was a well-organized race.

In late June or early July I'll do a 75K walk up over a 6000' pass and a ways down the other side. It's all uphill through about 27 miles. I usually walk my age in km on that course. It's satisfying (but slow! Did I say I'm very slow? I'm very slow.) Last year, 74k took me 13 hours.

That's all the news from Hilo.
Go to Top of Page

Jan J.

323 Posts

Posted - March 07 2018 :  14:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see that you are still in the game, Don. Is it OK to say that the local attitude towards accurate measuring/timing of running races owes something to the laid-back nature of island life? We were back in Maui for 8 days in December, and for maybe the first time ever, while traveling, I did not read the newspaper, watch TV news, or listen to any news on the radio, in a very much needed, and successful attempt to mentally escape, at least for a little while, from the psychologically crushing state of the political situation in our democracy. Of course, back in the mainland it is still all too real.

Jan J.

p.s. How long do you think it will be before this post is trolled?
Go to Top of Page

Occhino

937 Posts

Posted - March 08 2018 :  05:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Jan J. from the psychologically crushing state of the political situation in our democracy. Of course, back in the mainland it is still all too real.

Jan J.

p.s. How long do you think it will be before this post is trolled?

Mr Mitchell thank you for the interesting story associated with RUNNING. Much respect to you and your accomplishments in running over the years.I don't think I could keep moving for 13 hours.Tuff stuff.

Jan J.I think you answered your own question.
I will thank you for making this mornings run a little faster pace while contemplating what word best fits your post,"irony" or "oxymoron" I decided to go with oxymoron, well done on the hijack part.
Go to Top of Page

jeanne

264 Posts

Posted - March 08 2018 :  10:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto.

jeanne
Go to Top of Page

JR

242 Posts

Posted - March 08 2018 :  16:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cool. I ran the 78 Skylon and now I can say that I met Roger Bannister there! He probably didn't even remember me!
Go to Top of Page

Jan J.

323 Posts

Posted - March 08 2018 :  19:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Occhino:

Most gratifying that I was able to make you try harder.

Jan J.
Go to Top of Page

lkizz

1010 Posts

Posted - March 10 2018 :  03:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I wanted to be a neurologist. That seemed to be the most difficult, most intriguing, and the most important aspect of medicine, which had links with psychology, aggression, behavior, and human affairs."

Roger Bannister

I didn't know Roger was a philosopher as well, tons of great quotes out there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Buffalo Runners Forum © 2000-2014 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page