Race and Run Reports
 Chilly Challenge date change?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buffalogal

82 Posts

Posted - December 04 2017 :  07:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Chilly Challenge is being held on Sunday, March 25 instead of Sunday, February 25? Now that's a surprise. I wonder if the RD found it was too cold for folks at 10 am in February (didn't it used to be held around midday?)

marty farrell

365 Posts

Posted - December 04 2017 :  10:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it was always the week before the Shamrock Run which is the first Saturday in March.

marty farrell
Go to Top of Page

buffalogal

82 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  03:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right? Now it's in its 39th year and they've changed the date. Kind of weird. It's risky to go and make changes to a successful race (see the Bob Ivory race).
Go to Top of Page

Jeff

639 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  06:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a huge surprise to me too -- I initially added the Chilly Challenge to the calendar on the traditional date after mis-reading the notice as Feb 25. Oops!

It's corrected on the BuffaloRunners calendar now. The Canisius Chilly Challenge is scheduled for March 25.

The move to March 25 is risky but not without thought. The race committee had two objectives that I am aware of: (1) to better separate it from the host high school's winter break week which ends on Feb 25, and (2) to attain a better calendar separation on the regional races calendar.

The downside potential is obvious for any race that breaks from tradition. This will be the Chilly Challenge's 39th annual. But the upside potential is that the race may now be able to attract more Canisius students and it may also be better positioned to accommodate many of the region's runners who may want more than a week between the huge Shamrock 8K and this event.

What do you think? Is it a good move for you?

JJ
Go to Top of Page

plpjap

130 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  07:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've run it a few times but have to make a 70 mile round trip to do it so weather was always a factor. A month later has a better chance for decent weather to travel so it may draw more out of town runners. One downside is the race pretty much had that last weekend in Feb. to itself on the calendar. The last weekend in March may see some competition.
Go to Top of Page

buffalogal

82 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  10:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the late March date for the same reason as plpjap: hopefully the weather will be that much better. No guarantees but still. Looking at the calendar in past years, both late February and late March seem nearly wide open, with only one (potential) conflict in March with the Around the Bay, but that sells out early and being in Canada is a factor for me not running it. The Bunny Hop is a week later this year, so that's not competition.

All in all: I approve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Buffalo Runners Forum © 2000-2014 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page